Irish coffee-culture has well and truly arrived so join us on this trip of a lifetime to Central America visiting two countries synonymous with coffee production!
Guatemala & Costa Rica
This is a sample itinerary that can be Tailor-Made to your Group
Phone us on 01-8434734
Why Book with us?
- Irish owned & operated and have been in business since 2003
- Experienced and professional staff
- 24-hour emergency service
- Professional guides
- Licenced by the Commission for Aviation Regulation, TA 0533
Day 1 – Fly to Guatemala
Depart Dublin Airport for your flight to Guatemala City.
Day 2 – Arrive in Guatemala
Arrive in Guatemala City Airport and transfer to your hotel for three nights. Your hotel is located 5 minutes from Antigua’s beautiful main plaza, the Villa Colonial. Overnight in Antigua.
Day 3 – Finca Filadelfia & Antigua Guatemala
Breakfast at your hotel. Morning visit to Finca Filadelfia one of the first coffee estates in the region and pioneer in coffee production in Guatemala. You will learn the history, cultivation and processing of coffee on the farm. The tour ends sipping a cup of one of the best coffees in Guatemala. Continue with a Professional Coffee Tasting Session. In the afternoon visit Antigua Guatemala, a colonial city declared by UNESCO as a “Cultural Heritage of Humanity”. Overnight in Antigua.
Day 4 – Finca Bella Vista
Breakfast at your hotel. Visit Finca Bella Vista. Walking through the plantation and depending on the season, you can participate in the harvest of coffee grains. This finca is currently not opened to the public so the visit has a different ambiance as the one visited yesterday. Processes, interaction, learning, etc. are more authentic and less touristy. After the visit continue to several of the indigenous surrounding villages of Antigua. Each with its own personality. Overnight in Antigua.
Day 5 – Chichicastenango Market
Breakfast at your hotel. Visit Chichicastenango to see the most colorful and picturesque outdoor market in Guatemala, where every Thursday and Sunday, locals from the region gather to buy and sell fruits, vegetables, flowers, grains, animals, textiles and handicrafts. Afternoon drive to your hotel at Lake Atitlán. Overnight at Lake Atitlán.
Day 6 – Lake Atitlán
Breakfast at your hotel. Today we visit one of the twelve indigenous villages of Lake Atitlán. Depart by boat from Santa Catarina Palopó to either the town of San Pedro La Laguna or San Juan La Laguna. Visit a Local Coffee Cooperative which is a project that promotes organic coffee growing and provides technical assistance and training in the production, processing, marketing and environmental responsibility. In the afternoon return by boat to Panajachel and afterwards continue to Guatemala City. Overnight in Guatemala City.
Day 7 – Fly to San Jose
Breakfast at your hotel. Transfer to Guatemala City airport for your internal flight to San Jose, Costa Rica. Upon arrival transfer to your hotel in San Jose with a brief introduction to Costa Rica during the transfer. San Jose is a bustling city nestled inside a tropical paradise; it sits in the centre of the country in the Central Valley and is surrounded by gorgeous untouched cloud forests. Overnight in San Jose.
Day 8 – Los Santos area & Café Privilegios
Breakfast at your hotel. Visit the Los Santos area – “The Saints”. The Los Santos area is a traditional agricultural area with elevations from 3,000 feet up to nearly 10,000 feet. The middle elevations are known worldwide for its quality coffee like the wonderful coffees from Santa Maria de Dota. You will visit Finca El Cedral. This farm is designed to process coffee pulp, where it is converted into compost by the Californian Red Worm. Enjoy a delicious typical lunch at the home of a local farmer. Afterwards enjoy a delicious cup of coffee in Café Privilegios, listed in the Lonely Planet magazine as one of the top ten best places in the world to drink a cup of coffee. Overnight in San Jose.
Day 9 – San José
Breakfast at your hotel. In San Jose – you will have a guided city tour: San José is the capital city of Costa Rica and is located in the centre of the Central Valley surrounded by volcanic mountain ranges. The city tour will show you a few of the sights, residential areas and includes the National Theatre, built in 1890 with the profits from coffee. Continue to Muelle de San Carlos. Overnight in Muelle de San Carlos.
Day 10 – Caño Negro Wildlife Refuge
Breakfast at your hotel. Visit the Caño Negro Wildlife Refuge. This tour will take you through the most important citrus groves and sugar cane plantations of Costa Rica. Overnight in Muelle de San Carlos.
Day 11 – Poás Volcano National Park & Doka Estates Coffee Plantation
Breakfast at your hotel. Return to San Jose, en-route visit the Poás Volcano National Park at 2704 meters, with the opportunity to walk right to its crater at 2500m. Afterwards visit the Doka Estates Coffee Plantation to learn about the traditional techniques of coffee farming, harvesting, milling and roasting. Enjoy a hearty typical lunch with a spectacular view of this award-winning coffee plantation.
Day 12 – Return Flight
Breakfast at your hotel. Transfer to San Jose airport for your flight home.
Day 13 – Arrive Home
- Return flights from Dublin to Guatemala and Costa Rica to Dublin plus internal flight from Guatemala City to San Jose
Professional tour manager and executive coach transfers throughout
- 3 nights in the 4* Hotel Villa Colonial (or similar) with breakfast
- 1 night in the 4* Villa Santa Catarina (or similar) with breakfast
- 1 night in the 5* Hotel Barcelo Guatemala City (or similar) with breakfast
- 2 nights in the 4* Palma Real Hotel & Casino (or similar) with breakfast
- 2 nights in the 3* Tilajari Hotel Resort & Conference Centre (or similar) with breakfast
- 1 night in the 4* Palma Real Hotel & Casino (or similar) with breakfast
- Two lunches
- Visit Finca Filadelfia coffee plantation for a guided tour to learn the history, cultivation and processing of coffee on the farm with professional coffee tasting session included
- Guided city tour of Antigua Guatemala
- Visit Finca Bella Vista for the opportunity to participate in the harvest of coffee grains, followed by visits to the villages of San Antonio Aguas Calientes & Santiago Zamora to learn about Maya-Kaqchiquel culture
- Visit the Chichicastenango Market; a picturesque outdoor market held every Thursday and Sunday in Guatemala City where locals gather to buy and sell their wares
- Travel by boat to the town of San Pedro La Laguna to visit a local coffee cooperative that promotes organic coffee growing and provides technical assistance and training in the production, processing and marketing
- Visit the traditional agricultural area of Los Santos to see a local farm which processes coffee pulp into compost
- Enjoy a typical delicious lunch at the home of a local coffee farmer
- Enjoy a delicious cup of coffee in Café Privilegios, listed in the Lonely Planet magazine as one of the top ten best places in the world to drink a cup of coffee
- Guided city tour of Costa Rica’s capital; San Jose
- Visit the Caño Negro Wildlife Refuge for a guided tour taking you through the most important citrus groves and sugar cane plantations of Costa Rica
- Visit Poas Volcano National Park and the Coffee Museum
- Visit the Doka Estates coffee plantation and mill where you will learn about the traditional techniques of coffee farming, harvesting, milling and roasting
- Price based on 2 sharing including all airport taxes & charges.
- Single room supplements apply. If you are travelling alone and are willing to share a twin room with another group member of the same sex, we will do our best to accommodate this request although it cannot be guaranteed.
- Non-refundable / non-transferable deposit of €500pp required at time of booking.
- Balance due 10 weeks before departure
- Price includes 1 standard piece of checked-in luggage.
- Optional insurance available from €59pp (terms & conditions apply).
- City taxes may apply, payable locally at your hotel.
- Flights, taxes, hotels prices & itinerary subject to change. Booking terms & conditions apply.
- A percentage of the tour cost may be allowed as a business expense for taxation purposes
- GTI is fully licensed and bonded in accordance with the Commission of Aviation Regulation (T.A. 0533). E&OE
- Booking terms & conditions apply