Guided by Captain Donal Buckley, this tour will explore the history, the politics, the attitudes and the reconciliation that WW1 was and is in Irish and world history.
This tour is to remember and honour our fallen soldiers especially those related to us If you have a particular grave or memorial that you want to visit please let us know and if it is possible we will do our best to facilitate you. Please note that the programme may be adjusted before and during the tour to facilitate situations.
On the Trail of the Irish Soldier
Price based on 20 people travelling
27 – 31 May 2024
Phone us on 01-8434734
Why Book with us?
- Irish owned & operated and have been in business since 2003
- Experienced and professional staff
- 24-hour emergency service
- Professional guides
- Licenced by the Commission for Aviation Regulation, TA 0533
Day 1 – Battle of Mons
Fly Dublin – Brussels and transfer by coach to where the opening and closing shots were fired near SHAPE in Mons. We will then overview the Battle of Mons. This will include a visit to Nimy Bridge where the first VC’s of the war were earned by Mullingar officer Lt Dease and Sgt Godley. Lunch will be near the Royal Irish Regiment Memorial at Binch x roads and afterwards we will visit St Symphorien Cemetery. Then we head for Ypres and check into the Novotel.
Day 2 – Battle of Messines
Following breakfast we will tour the Battle of Messines. We will start with the 16 Division Memorial at Wytschaete commemorating the capture of this area on 07 June 1917. We will then visit the Peace Pool at Spanbrokmolen and Lone Tree Cemetery.
We will then visit the Island of Ireland Peace Park near Messines where the soldiers from all the Irish Divisions are commemorated. After lunch we will visit the grave of Lt Col Willie Redmond MP and then return to Ypres where you will be free to visit locations such as the Flanders Fields museum.
Day 3 – The Ypres Salient Battles
After breakfast we will visit the Somme area. This will include the Lochnagar / La Boiselle Crater, the Ulster Tower and the Thiepval Memorial which commemorates the 76,356 soldiers missing in the battle area. We will also visit the 16 Div Memorial at Guillemont and remember Lt Emmet (Ginchy) Dalton MC from Dublin and Cpl Brian Hughes VC from Castleblayney who were decorated for their actions.
Day 4 – Battle of the Somme
Following breakfast we will visit Sanctuary Wood Museum which contains original trenches that you can explore and a wealth of weapons, uniforms and other militaria. Then we will visit Tyne Cott Cemetery, the largest Commonwealth cemetery in the world which contains so many Irish graves known and unknown. After a visit to the German cemetery at Langemark we will visit the location of the 1st gas attack at Vancouver Corner, the Francis Ledwidge Memorial and his grave at Artillery Wood Cemetery and finish at Essex Farm where wrote his epic poem ‘In Flanders Fields’. That evening we will lay wreaths (Poppy or laurel) at the Menin Gate to commemorate the Irish dead.
Day 5: Departure
Breakfast at the hotel followed by check-out. After some free time we will then transfer to Brussels Airport for the return flight to Dublin.
- Return flights from Dublin to Brussels including taxes & charges
- 10kg luggage allowance per person
- 4 nights’ accommodation in the Novotel Ieper Centrum Flanders Fields in the heart of Ypres with breakfast
- Professional historian tour manager
- Private executive coaching for the duration of the tour
- Guided visits to Flanders Battlefields including Francis Ledwidge Memorial & Artillery Wood Cemetery, Langemarc German cemetery, Tyne Cott cemetery, the Island of Ireland Peace Park, the 16th Irish Division Memorial at Wytschaete and Willie Redmond’s Grave in Locre, The Somme Battlefields including Lochingar Crater, Pipers Memorial at Longueval, the 16th Irish Division Memorial at Guillemont, Ginchy, the 36th Ulster Divisions Ulster Tower and Thiepval Memorial
Please note: Entrance fees to museums on the programme are not included and are to be paid locally
- Booking Remarks: Price based on 2 sharing including all airport taxes & charges. Single room supplement €210pp. If you are travelling alone and are willing to share a twin room with another group member of the same sex, we will do our best to accommodate this request although it cannot be guaranteed. Non refundable / non transferable deposit of €250pp required at time of booking. Balance due 10 weeks before departure. Price includes 1 standard piece of hand luggage. Checked-in luggage is available to purchase prior to travel – prices may vary. Optional insurance available from €37pp (terms & conditions apply). City taxes may apply, payable locally at your hotel. Flights, hotels, taxes, prices & itinerary subject to change. Booking terms & conditions apply. Licenced by the Commission for Aviation Regulation, TA 0533. E&OE
- Booking terms & conditions apply